As someone that actually makes parts for Daytonas and Superbirds, Mike-Dayclona, has a pretty exact knowledge of how the very limited reproduction market for wing car parts actually works. I think he's given a pretty concise..., for him, discription of the different suppliers out there.

What is available has quite a range in quality and price. One of the biggest problems is interchangability of parts. For the clone builders, buying parts from several suppliers tends to create a 3 dimensional chess game of fitting things together. Trying to mix and match parts from 2 or 3 suppliers to save a couple of $ is at best a fools errand.

For folks with original cones, fitting reproduction parts into them is a similar 3d chess game. On unrestored cars the headlight buckets are often rusted. Combine 40 years of bumped, crushed, damaged cones with the starting out fact that there a lot of variances in the original delivered cones and this is recipie for a lot of hours at a workbench.

Probably the hardest part to make would be a steel Superbird cone shell. I can't see why anyone would attempt it with Jack Mc. making them already. The part is all compound curves. Even more than the other parts reproducing it well takes years of knowledge. A number of years ago I saw a stack of Superbird cone top pieces Jack had. To be able to produce them is pretty impressive. This is not something someone is going to be able to figure out how to do well in a month of study of a single part. If you could master the top then figure out steel sides, as of a couple of years ago Jack was still trying to do that.

Everyone wishes the parts were cheaper. What Mike and Jack tend to offer are parts thought out through years of trial and error fitting.

Last edited by Redbird; 05/29/09 03:41 PM.