" then asked if I would leave the plate on it. People are assholes."

my brother lives in california, and sold a 1995 olds ciera he bought here in pa at one of the auctions i used to go to when he lived here.
it was a pretty decent car, bought very cheap, and served him well for many years, and he took it with him when he moved because of his job.
well finally it was time to sell it, so by then, it had a ton of miles on it and needed new tires and a couple of other minor things, so he listed it on "whatever" out there.
some lady and her son showed up, bought it with cash for his cheap asking price. he signed the title, off they went, and that was that..........or so he thought............
about a month goes by, and he gets a letter from the local PD claiming he is going to have an arrest warrant issued for him unless he pays the speeding ticket issued the same day he sold the car. the date and time was listed, as well as the ticket number. as this was almost 12 hours after he sold the car, he knew it wasn't him. he calls the phone number on the letter head, explains the car was sold way earlier in the day, gives the PD the woman's name and address, and the PD then tells him to just disregard the letter.
in california, when you sign the pink slip, the buyer is supposed to go to the DMV and finish the sale process. [at least that was the way it worked at the time of this incident] the tags stay with the vehicle.
a few weeks later, he gets another letter for another infraction, plus a phone call for yet another still ! so after a few phone calls and hours spent explaining the car had been sold [giving the date and who it was sold to] and he didn't have it anymore, he thought FINALLY, this mess was taken care of. HAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!

NOT !!

this went on for several more MONTHS, he would get multiple letters, mostly registered [requiring him to spend/waste time going after them] and phone calls threatening him with arrest if he didn't pay up for the tickets "he" received.
hours and hours were spent on the phone and visiting the DMV explaining he no longer owned this car, and it was the woman or her son who had purchased his car that were creating this mess !
it ended finally, when he got a phone call from a tow service, threatening him they were going to sell or junk "his" car if he didn't pay the impound fee, coupled with the tow bill, within 72 hours !
he started laughing and told them he didn't give a $hit what they did, because he had sold this problem months and months, and by this time, almost a year ago !
the tow company person got a pretty good chuckle out of this story, so he told my brother this will be end of his problems................
it must have worked, as he hasn't heard another thing about "his car" in all the many years since. laugh2

yes, people really are A$$HOLES !
beer