I have a small block in my 70 Monte. Ever since I bought it 18 years ago, the starter needed to be given a jolt of juice once in a while. The previous owner had a jumper wire from the fuse block to the starter solenoid with a switch under the steering column to give it juice when needed. It has a good battery, starter doesn't make any funny noises, but sometimes it's just nothing at all (no click, grinding, nothing). I have replaced the battery cables and have tested the voltage at the battery and the starter end of it, both about the same. I think I tested it with the key on as if it was starting when I had the starter out last time to replace cables and it was real close there too. Do the solenoids go bad and if so, are they replaceable without replacing the entire starter? I know I could go with a new starter or mini one, but I was thinking maybe the solenoid may have an internal issue with the flow of power since it starts every time I hit the switch on the inside of the car. I'll have to admit, it is nice to have it not start with the key alone sometimes. It's like an anti theft device, but would like to see if I can fix it easily.

Last edited by MI_Custumz; 04/23/24 07:01 AM.