Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Lots to consider. Seems diverting or setting up only certain faucets for softened water is a must. I never thought about salt content in water heater too although as mentioned they don't last long as it is.

I don't know what to look for in our water report for the city. I probably need independent test.

If anyone knows what specifically to look for on this report please advise... I'm certain it's hard water though. I can feel on my skin and just by the faucets, etc.

https://www.melbourneflorida.org/de...ities/water-quality/water-quality-report

Hard water is usually defined as water, which contains a high concentration of calcium and magnesium ions. However, hardness can be caused by several other dissolved metals; those forms divalent or multivalent cations, including aluminum, barium, strontium, iron, zinc, and manganese. None of these are reported in your cites drinking water report.

Getting a report on minerals which cause water hardness from your cities drinking water is possible. Although they may test for the minerals, they rarely report them to the public, you can contact them and ask directly if the water is hard.

Without having to go too far out of your way, one of the easiest options for a hard water test is with a clear, clean, empty bottle with a cap, pure liquid soap and water right from your tap. Fill the bottle one-third full, add a few drops of pure liquid soap and shake vigorously for a few seconds. If there is a distinct lack of fluffy bubbles and the water appears cloudy and/or milky, your water is hard. Soft water would have copious bubbles, and the resting water at the bottom of the bottle would be clear. Keep in mind that because most soaps are formulated with detergents, they lather regardless of your water type. For the best results, use a basic soap, such as Castile, which is free of dyes, perfumes and detergents.

My Monster are real!

Living within your means makes life pretty easy.