That engine didn't do as well as expected. It made 815 hp at 6900 RPM. The vacuum pump that the customer brought was wore out so it didn't pull much vacuum. Once he gets his pump rebuilt the engine will probably make around 825. Not sure why the power was down. The parts he had seemed capable of more. I'm not a fan of using a 4500 to 4150 adapter on a 400-2 intake but the customer was told that the necked down intake made more power. I would've liked to see what a ported 400-3 intake would do on the engine but we didn't have one to try.

One interesting footnote is that we're currently running a 428 inch SBC on the dyno that is making 795 hp. Cam specs are almost identical between the two engines, and we're using the same 1050 Dominator dyno carb. The 540 Mopar had less rocker arm ratio than the 428 SB so that could've been part of the issue.

Next motor on the dyno is a 540 inch BBC with very similar specs. Same compression, cam specs, carb, etc. It will be interesting to see how it does. I think the heads on the BBC are bigger so that might work in its favor.

Last edited by AndyF; 04/05/24 03:13 PM.