Originally Posted by That AMC Guy
I've been looking into this on the AMC side of things, since I dislike both the price of a Gear Vendors and also that gargantuan tail shaft they make you use when coupling a GV to a 727.

It's a shame the 727 main case and 518 case are different.... it's not just a case of bolting a 518 tail onto an AMC 727. frown

42RH (A500) or 46RH (A518) are the transmissions you'd want. I think '88-'92 is the model year range for these.

In my case, there was an A500 used behind the 4.0-litre for a year or two in 2wd Cherokees. The 4.0 and AMC V8 share bellhousing patterns, but I don't know how long an A500 would live behind my 401.

I do have this crazy idea of chopping the bell area off an A518 and an AMC 727.... and making a bolt-on bell for the A518 using the pump housing bolts. Might need some spacers on the converter and maybe a device to center the converter but shouldn't increase overall length by too much. Adding studs to the case to accept the new bell and pump instead of bolts.... These are the things us AMC folk gotta deal with to survive.

This place also has a pretty simple kit for controlling/applying the overdrive in a vehicle that doesn't have the BCM to support it. Looks pretty straight forward.
https://transmissioncenter.net/shop...ere-for-727-to-46rh-swap-wiring-diagram/

The 500 is a 904 , there is plenty of parts out there to hop up the 904 , to live behind your 401 I would think , build the OD to diesel spec and it should be fine?

running up my post count some more .