Originally Posted by Phoenix
I'd have assumed all of them had some form of factory balancing done...

The location of the (relatively small) balancing marks is nowhere near the balancing necessary for externally balanced cranks.

Yes , the ones with the small scallops are more than likely the factory balance for neutral , the ones with the holes drilled are for some other balancing of some sort. I had a funny vibration in my 383 dart , when I had my machine shop cut the flywheel and check it balance it was way out and part of the reason was because at one point someone somewhere along the line cut the flywheel at an angle when resurfacing it , it was about .030 thinner on one side vs. the other.

If it were me ... and the shops around me were capable of doing it ... I would clean the wheel I want to use that I ASSuME is neutral, have it re surfaced .... if all the heat check marks were out of it then I would have it neutral balanced WITH the pressure plate I plan on using , then do the drilling for the external balance. When I have my neutral flywheels done it's with the pressure plate and the shop marks the 2 pieces of the assembly so I can assemble it as balanced .

running up my post count some more .