Well into the planning before I commit to cutting up my 2001 Dakota to be the donor chassis under my 56 pickup build. My Dak has a limited slip 9.25" 3:55 ratio on worn out leaf springs/hangers/bushings (the Dak has 203,000 miles on it). So I plan to fully rebuild the rear suspension/axle of my Dak before that all becomes the back half under the 56 frame. Wondering though, on the basis of building a better daily driver, would I be money and technology ahead, intead of rebuilding/repairing the 2001 Dakota rear axle, to get the entire rear end/suspension out of a salvage 1500 Ram? Thinking limited slip, same ratio, but then disc brakes and coil over suspension. A nicer package, no spring hangers, no axle tramp, better ride, option to include air load compensation inside the coil springs, a newer technology limited slip, better single ABS in the rear axle.

I feel I could easily spend over $500 just rebuilding/refurbing the original Dakota 9.25" rear axle, and have a decent rear axle/suspension that is still older tech and drum brakes. For that same money I could just get a much newer technology coil suspension rear axle with much better brakes and better rear axle ride/handling control.

My 56 C3-B8 Dakota build