Originally Posted by 360view
Embrace the rust
if it is made “less flakey”
and almost like paint?

That is the idea of COR-TEN steel such as grades ASTM 242 and ASTM 588

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel

sample quote

Disadvantages
Using weathering steel in construction presents several challenges.

Ensuring that weld-points weather at the same rate as the other materials may require special welding techniques or material.

Weathering steel is not rust-proof in itself: if water is allowed to accumulate on the surface of the steel, it will experience a higher corrosion rate, so provision for drainage must be made.

Weathering steel is sensitive to humid subtropical climates, and in such environments it is possible that the protective patina may not stabilize but instead continue to corrode.
For example, the former Omni Coliseum, built in 1972 in Atlanta, never stopped rusting, and eventually large holes appeared in the structure. This was a major factor in the decision to demolish it just 25 years after construction.
The same thing can happen in environments laden with sea salt. Hawaii's Aloha Stadium, built in 1975, is one example of this.[26] Weathering steel's normal surface weathering can also lead to rust stains on nearby surfaces.
end quote

Note the bit about the arc welding rusting faster than the base steel.

I see more and more electrical power line towers made of cor-ten steel than 20 years ago.

I am more a fan of the South African invention: so called 3Cr12 steel,
much less expensive than original 8Ni-18Cr stainless steel

https://www.atlassteel.com/products/3cr12

I have a long time associate with Florida Power and Light share with me a few years back they are replacing all their Core-Ten steel HV transmission line towers with galvanized towers. That is literally thousands of miles of towers in Florida due to corrosion failures.
Mostly due to bird droppings it seems. This conversion is easily seen along Highway 27 in Broward County where 4 HV lines run parallel and for the last couple of years the towers have been transitioned out.

BTW, I do like your new TB's up

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.