Originally Posted by JohnRR
Originally Posted by Streetwize
Fast68,

Thanks for posting that thread about the modded 340 intake. I envisioned something similar for the thermoquad. I think the thing holding that design back is it needs a much larger plenum (both vertically from the carb and then the Horizontal 'Barrel' below) and it needs a much smoother angled transition from the plenum to the roof of the runners. That sharp edged 90 degree transition is going to kill flow and make the A/F really wonky trying to hold anything in suspension....how close can we model the shape and cross sectional area of a known good flowing single plane beneath the OEM casting?

But I gotta say I really applaud the tremendous effort that went into it!!

I remember talking with Tom Cannon years ago at I think it was the FAST event at the mopar nats in like 2004(?) that I thought a 71-72 TQ auto duster or Demon 340 would have a big advantage over a six pack cuda. Even if the total HP was a little down from the 6 pack the combo would have a huge advantage in much lighter weight, aerodynamics ( The challenger has one of the worst grille frontal areas....compared the Duster having one of the best, and the phenomenal natural weight transfer of the short front/long rear overhang of the duster. I think it's amazing to see that Duster going 10.30's ....but I'm really not surprised it's the quickest non-hemi Mopar combination.

I guess the best way to test and tune your FAST combination is to run your best "legal" combo and then swap on a known "good" manifold (like a Street dominator or a performer RPM) and see how much potential ET your really giving up...then grind and tune the manifold to try to close the gap as much as possible.

I thought Ed Cooks max wedge was knocking on a 9.99 ?

Ed went 10.19, he better not be sitting on his hands this winter.. lol
Every minute spent on the intakes on a fast style car is worthwhile. I am so envious of aluminum intakes, welding cast iron is a very steep learning curve, everytime I think I know what I'm doing, the next piece acts completely differently. Knowing what I know now I've started another one this winter.

PXL_20230414_160728408_exported_98_1681488472182.jpg

Work In Progress- 71' Duster F.A.S.T.- 10.36@130 Smallblock Record Holder.