Originally Posted by AndyF
505 is a good combo for a standard bore 440 engine. I'd use Molnar rather than 440 source but 440 Source will work. Just might need to spend a little more at the machine shop to get it right. Getting the rear main to seal can be a real problem with some offshore cranks. If you save a little money on the crank but end up with a leak then you won't be happy. What heads are you planning to use? Only ones I recommend for street engines are the Trick Flow 240 heads. Everything else on the market has issues that need to be fixed by the machine shop so that just shifts money from the purchase price to the total price. What intake? Flat hood or hood scoop? You can make plenty of torque with a flat hood. If you want bigger peak power numbers then you'll need a hood scoop for a tall intake. Hyd roller cam? If so, buy the correct heads with the correct springs so you don't have to pay twice.

Daily driver means small cam and modest compression. You might need to shop a bit to find the right piston to work with your stroke and cylinder head. It is super important to pick the correct piston. I'd use a flat top with a reverse dome dish and keep the compression under 10:1 for street driving. Camshaft should be smaller than what people tell you. Maybe something in the 220 range for smooth idle. 230 range will give you a little more power but idle starts to get lumpy and gas mileage drops. The Chevy 502 crate motor cam is 224/234 and it works great for street rods or daily drivers. Don't let anyone talk you into a big cam that you'll hate driving on a daily basis.

That sounds like great advice, thank you. I was thinking 440 source because I heard good things about them. I will give Molnar a look.