Not a mopar car but engine. The 400 Ball Stud Hemi. I have mixed feelings. It was a neat motor. Basically big block chevy heads on a low deck mopar block. But what was the reason? I know it was to replace the BB wedge motors but why? For the hottest street brawls the 383 440 wedge was great. High velocity head ports. The BBC canted valve design is better for high RPM power than the inline valve wedge head but mopar had the Hemi for high RPM race engines. Was Mopar gonna REPLACE the hemi with this new canted valve headed motor? Was the Ball stud a replacement for the wedge AND the hemi? The Hemis valve train is cast, expensive and complex- the canted valve head had simple stamped steel rocker arms that were stud mounted. Very economical. I can see the advantage if the ball stud was a replacement for the hemi and the wedge. But it would have been a step down from the hemi head. Surely by 1971 it was apparent that Elephant 426 hemi head established it superiority in oval track and drag racing? I don't see the canted valve chevy type head dominating racing like the 426 hemi head/engine did.

Keep old mopars alive.