Originally Posted by 360view
In its first year Chrysler’s press release said the new 5.7 was
“6% more fuel efficient”
than the previous Magnum 5.9V8

a portion of that must have been no distributor drive
another portion 2 spark plugs per cylinder
another portion thinner piston rings
another portion higher dynamic compression ratio

Also much improved windage with the oil from the top end bypassing the spinning crank and a good windage tray. Plastic intake keeping the air going into the engine 100 degrees cooler than the magnum could. Bone stock heads flow as much as a heavily ported SB head. Lighter and lower located weight. Crank driven oil pump instead of gear driven.

Also while a 380 crate 360 may make as much as a stock 5.7 it will be more peaky than the 5.7 and it will not touch a 6.4.

I used to make all the same arguments he is for years and years but stuff has changed, 360s are getting harder to find that are not sacked out and the JY prices are going up, new hemis are getting easier to find and cheaper, good parts are coming out at more reasonable prices like the holley intake I mentioned, eagle heads on an early short block is cheap and it makes a beast of an engine especially if you throw in a 6.1 cam with 100% stock parts, those later heads flow as much as heavily worked W2s at high valve lift and will flat destroy a W2 head at lower valve lifts. You don't need any special pulleys and stuff, I don't know where that idea comes from, it is all in the JY just like SB stuff and even more so.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!