Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Poorboy and TJP have it down pat. I spent a lot of years building/rebuilding/tweaking carbs. Living in WI we got real good at tweaking stat housing and choke pull-offs. One of the biggest reasons there is no choke on my toy...hop in, pump it a couple times and start it up. Feather the throttle for a few and good to go. I've fired mine up in Feb when the temps were WELL below freezing...took a bit more to keep it running but it fired right up! 470" with a Holley 800 DP.

Two shots from that double pumper helps with richening that mixture up LOL,
I see it as a challenge and love them When set up. My 38 ( 340 6 pak with mechanicals) can sit for a year. Key on, elect pump on, 2 or 3 pumps it'll start and die. two more pumps it starts and idles at about 1300, after30 seconds or so , blip the throttle, now at 1100 or so, drop it into gear and drive way smile
Had a 64 Dart years ago with a pretty radical 340 in it, no choke. Loved it when cold as it had a different even more radical sound to it especially when blipping the throttle to keep it running smile smile
I've always hated the cheesy aftermarket manual choke kits that cause more trouble than setting the automatic choke up IF one knows how they work. Most do not take the time to do so and blame the choke.
But this is true of most everything. When I taught classes on equipment I always told the students the first 2/3 of the class was the most important as we would break the machine down into subsections, Learn how each section functioned, then start reassembling to UNDERSTAND how they interacted with each other.
If one knows the above, the machine will just about diagnose itself by its symptoms.
Or one throws parts at it sometimes getting lucky and others creating more problems. In the second case they normally call it a POS and blame the item. Quadrajets, Carters, Edelbrocks, Holleys, Strombergs, and most others are all good carbs. They all do the same thing, but differently. One needs to know how they work before they can repair them. NOTE: I left Demon and Predator out purposely. the early Demons had some issues IMO, not sure about now.
twocents