Originally Posted by ackpht
I'm no expert but I've just been through this myself, so it means I haven't forgotten it yet.

I assume that when the engine is warm and the choke is full open, it starts and idles OK- idle speed is set, idle mixture screws are set.

The video below includes a few more details like setting the initial choke position and working with the fast idle screw. I'd say check it out before you replace anything because it's possible you just have the choke set way too lean because you're trying to hold the choke butterfly open a little when it's cold using the choke spring itself.

Rich/lean tuning adjustments to the choke housing then affect how long it takes the butterfly to open, but it always starts closed when cold.

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/how_to_adjust_the_choke_and_fast_idle_on_holley_carburetors/

Thanks but I went through that many times and if I slightly close the butterfly as described, the car sputters and runs rough for seconds until the butterfly opens a bit. fast idle is not an issue. IF and I say IF...The choke would work fine for me if it would stay longer where I get it to start..idle nicely..then stalls because the butterfly opens so fast. I set the butterfly about 1/16 to 1/8 open. Car starts and runs well until the butterfly goes full open in about 15 seconds.I am considering converting to a manual choke or get used to a slow getta way when cold starting.

Now if there was a way to slow the butterfly from opening, that would be great.

Thanks to all for the suggestions