Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Most people do nothing and then have a tantrum along the lines of "What do you mean, you only cover $1,000 worth of tools?"

Yes, insuring $300k of tools is outside the norm for your typical homeowner's carrier. If you have $300k of coverage for $50/month, I would keep that and spend your time/energy elsewhere. I wouldn't spend my time shopping around for a homeowner's carrier that will give me a $300k endorsement for my tools. Maybe you get lucky, but how much do you value your time?

Actual coverage is a bit more than half that. Thanks for your input beer

Have you checked with your current provider to see if they will increase your limit of coverage? If not, I would start there.

Homeowner's insurers are not equipped to properly underwrite such a risk, nor are they interested in doing so. That's why there are limits to coverage for things like tools, guns, fur coats, jewlery, etc. If someone has far more $$$ in items like those than the typical homeowner, the exposure exceeds what they would want to insure.

Your are correct again. And yes I have checked with the homeowners Ins. and they really are waffling on covering that amount. that is what prompted me to post the question. using the 300K worth of Snap on tools that the owner accumulated over his career as an example.
It would be a lot easier for someone to steal those vs empty my shop out. So how do they get coverage? I'm thinking a lot don't realize or think about it until they find out they're underinsured frown