Originally Posted by jcc
But a front steer solution as pictured has sacrificed proper Ackerman greatly, which might be in a very specific application acceptable, but seldom preferred.

Front steer control arms need to be made for proper acherman angle.
Many years ago (43?) I shortened a rack enough to work with drum brakes, and the result was zero acherman correction. The front tires on my Dart are always parallel. Why didn't I fix this later on when I went to discs, and could have done so? Because the car recovers so quickly if it ever gets out of shape on the track. On three occasions my Dart has gotten seriously sideways, at speeds of 125, 135, and 153 mph! A snap correction with the steering wheel and the car recovers like it is on rails! The reason is the car never has severe toe out when correcting for a slide, and doesn't want to switch ends! It wants to go straight. The worst was at Rockfalls raceway in 2004, blew a gasket out of a Milodon adapter plate (thanks Milodon for a shat design!)for the oil filter in the traps. Oiled the left rear, instant leftt turn! But it came back instantly without trying to continue to go in the other direction, like you most often see, just before the car in question goes beyond the point of recovery and crashes. So that is why I will always be willing to live with a car that is tough to push around corners. Also the amount of wear from scrub has been virtually zero, since this is a drag only vehicle.

Last edited by gregsdart; 08/13/23 08:40 AM.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky