Thanks all -
I think this covers my situation well -
"I messed w/ an 8896 for a lil while and never got it to clean up.
I have an old 9375 that's better, but it is dead rich at cruising speed on the highway."
I spent a lot of time and effort tuning the 8896 - converted it to two circuit with the quickfuel metering plates, spent a LOT of time playing with restrictors, bleeds etc (I have it all written down somewhere). According to my old LM-1 o2 meter, it's actually (or was) pretty spot on in the end.
To be honest, it's the little things that bug me. Eg, once warmed up, if I stop for fuel, the engine seems to flood. Need to hold the throttle open to fire it up. And something that may or may not be related - I have a steep driveway that I need to reverse out of. Unless I gun it out, almost frying the tires, it'll stall. Even if I ride the brakes to keep the RPM up, it seems to stall. Again, kinda like it's flooding when the engine is on that angle.

Picking up an older 2-circuit Dominator, seems a little more challenging. I live in Australia, and a quick look on the on the usual online used marketplaces, the sellers seem to ask crazy prices for them - whether they get those prices is a different question.