Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe not that bad, but after all these years of use or abuse, they could it be some damaged, so not a guarantee of good working conditions.

Being the clutch kind are easier and cheaper rebuildable, kist are everywhere, and able to make it at home, thats an advantage. Cone kind will need to me machined as stated, not too cheap to make that.

Actually, I would have gone to a clutch type ( for the rebuildability thing ), but they are not available for the 9 1/4 diff. Per Auburn gear, the check to see if your cone unit is still serviceable is easy ( applies to a 9 1/4 - don't know about others): Jack one tire off the ground. Put a torque wrench on a lug nut on that wheel ( radially out from the wheel center ). Break-away torque for a new unit should be 70 lbs or better. They claim the unit is serviceable down to 20 lbs. Below that, replace. They also suggest 80-90 gear oil only. No synthetic. An additive os ok if you have bad chatter on turns.

Clutch types are available forthe 9.25 all the suregrip truck axles are a clutch type LSD. I know because I took one apart, and sold the empty diff with side gears to a kid who was going to rebuild it and put it in his Dakota--I pulled it out because it needed rebuilt and i wanted to go with a detroit true trac

now, if you're talking about an old 9.25 from a car, I don't know if they make one for that specific application (did the spline count change on them?) if so, you could buy one meant for a truck axle, and just get new axles for your older diff

Good info - thanks. I didn't know that. The 9 1/4 I have came with the car ( 79 300 - Cordoba ). It was originally open and I added the Auburn center section - cone clutch. I'm not having any problems with it so far. I'll probably stick with it for now.

Fastest 300