Originally Posted by NITROUSN
Originally Posted by GregY
Originally Posted by NITROUSN
Originally Posted by GregY

I disconnected the two big connectors (7 or 8 wires each) of wires under the dash coming out of the column, and that made no difference if one of those was the right one to disconnect. Is that what you were talking about NITROUSN?

It is sort of acting like the ignition switch is stuck in the run position or something. When I connect the neg. battery cable and it starts to turn over, I just need to move the key to "run" (don't need to go to "start") and the motor runs normally.

I also disconnected all the wires going to relay, and that made no difference.

Thanks for any continued help.

Greg

Yes. Now unplug the two small wires on the relay and see what it does.

Okay thank you.

I disconnected the two small wires at the bottom the relay (blade style connecters) and it does the same thing, starts cranking over as soon as the neg cable hits the post.

Is it the starter do you think?

The other symptom that I didn't mention is a whining type sound that I had never heard before that was coming from the engine compartment when the motor is running normally. I didn't know if it was related or not, but I wonder if it's the starter continuing to spin while the motor is running?

Now unscrew the smaller connector and take the wire loose. Check for voltage at the relays terminal. If there is the relay is bad. If there isn't the problem is in the starter.

Okay, so with both under column connectors disconnected, and three wires removed from the relay (the bottom two and the middle one), there is voltage at the post at the top (which still has two wires connected to it, one going to the battery and one going back toward the firewall) and no voltage anywhere else (at the other 3 terminals).

So it's looking like the starter, correct?

Last edited by GregY; 04/22/23 12:06 PM.