Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
I've always got a kick out the stigma, that "Racing is a waste of money" when talking with coworkers. Here in Minnesota, we are surrounded by lakes everywhere. Almost everyone owns a boat, fish house, side by side, snowmobile, cabin, etc... ALL of those are looked at as OK to own, but a race car isn't. I once had a coworker tell me, "It must be rough owning a race car." [censored]??? We made the same amount of money hourly. He smoked, and go to bars every weekend. I choose not to do those things, and spend my money on the car instead. I also do ALL my work, unless it comes to machining parts. It's all about priorities.
You are exactly right. I live in northern Wisconsin not a big racing area. Everyone here hunts, fishes, or drinks ( of course now days drugs are more popular it seems like). It all depends on your interests. I also choose to spend my money on cars. Sometimes I do think about living somewhere closer to racing. I told all my kids there only so much money find the hobby you really enjoy and enjoy it.