Originally Posted by IMGTX
I think part of the problem in Florida is the homes are crap.

When I lived in Okinawa Japan the houses were reinforced concrete block with concrete slab roofs and shutters made with 2x4's fastened edge to edge.

When a typhoon (hurricane for us Americans) came a calling we just bought food, closed our shutters and rode it out. Those houses were built to survive Earthquakes, Typhoons, and tsunami's. I do not think you could burn them down either because many of the interior walls were block also.

In Florida, and the rest of our Gulf/Atlantic coast, they build matchsticks made to blow away. When the insurance company has to replace a house every 10 years or so there is no way to make insurance cost effective. Florida being the worst because the whole state is in a hazardous position for hurricane damage. At least the other coastal states have inland homes that won't be damaged by hurricanes and can make up the difference in losses.

At least that is my take.

If I move to Florida I would like to build a house like I had in Japan and insure the contents not the building if that was possible.

You're not wrong. The older cinder block homes routinely get mowed down to be replaced with fancy (looking) frame houses with brick facing.