Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
Background: I run FMJ spindles, 78 Cordoba discs and regular set 2/set 17 bearings on my 67 Coronet. I have maybe 10k miles on the current bearings, tops.

I hadn't checked the bearings for a bit and found them to be a bit loose - they clearly failed the vertical push-pull test with the wheel on.

The outer bearing and race looked OK when I pulled the disc off - no chatter marks or scoring. Nothing weird came out of the old grease when I repacked it. Wheel turns quiet save for noise of pads on the disc.

When I went to set the bearing by the book with the wheel on - 90 in. lb. while spinning the wheel, then back the nut off one slot on the adjuster - I could still get an audible knock out of the wheel if I tried to rock it.

I have seen other factory manuals, like same-year Chevy manuals, call for 12 ft lb/144 in. lb.

If I squinch things up this much and back off 1 slot, it is a bit better at first but I still end up with audible play. It looks like about .003 up-down on the nose of the hub (though I think my current dial is a bit busted) and I can still get a sound out of it.

Is it normal to be able to get a sound out of this adjustment, or am I doing something wrong/these bearings are hosed already? I know they need a little room to heat up, but it's honestly been years since I monkeyed with this & I'm not entirely certain if I noted this when they were set as-new.

I would consider that amount acceptable where you measured it. I'd rather have 'some' play then have them 'bind' at some higher operating temp. Disc hubs do run 'hot', and can be even hotter depending upon your driving manners. We're talking large bearings here, not something for computer drives or cnc machines.