Originally Posted by challenger451ci
I'm setting up the starter with a Reid Big Block Powerglide case, ATI GM flexplate and a 1/4" mid plate. I'm not convinced the starter pinion has enough radial clearance to the ring gear. When I bump the motor over with the starter, it sounds fine. It engages with no issue and sounds OK turning the motor over. The issue I have is the pinion stays engaged partially in the ring gear after turning the motor over(I haven't fired it yet). It doesn't pull back to the full retracted position without help with a screwdriver. I'm thinking when the motor fires, it should allow the starter to rotate and free wheel so it can follow the spline back, correct?

Initial depth is good(I think) with about 0.100" from the pinion to the ring gear and with the Bendix all the way out, the front of the pinion is flush with the front of the ring gear. I've used this started with an Ultra Bell and 727 so I know it fits and works fine. It's a newer style factory V8 mini starter. Am I over thinking this???

It took some back and forth when I set up my PG conversion!!! Regardless of what the manufacturer says as to what should bolt together, the end result should be as close as possible without hanging-up IMO. But on mine depending on how you measured clearance sure was farther away then the recommended specs. After a few start/stops with visual verification, I felt good about it.