I only have a little bit of experience as a care giver. The practical advice I learned is that the care giver must take care of themselves as well as the person they are helping. If the care giver burns out, they can not take care of the person any longer. Depending on the situation, the care giver may even need help at that point!

It is real important to take care of yourself by getting enough sleep. Taking a break from that role every so often really helps.

You will probably need help. (Depending on how much care the patient needs.) Finding good help may prove difficult. Sometimes helpers steal things, sleep when they should be watching the patient, etc. When you find good help, they may be some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Edit:

I had an Aunt whose health deteriorated to the point she needed care. My Uncle took care of her as best he could, but they realized she needed more care than he could provide. She went into a nursing home. My Uncle went and visited with her EVERY day for the rest of her life!! Sometimes he would spend several hours with her. Other times his visits were shorter. Bottom line: She received better care than he could give her. It was easier for him to go see her than to be responsible for taking care of her 24 hours per day.

My Uncle took her books, puzzles, craft projects, etc. They would watch TV together. He would bring her carry out food from restaurants. She had a private room, so they could have personal conversations, etc. Her lifestyle in the nursing home was quite similar to the way she lived at home.

Depending on the situation, sometimes a nursing home is the best option. For example, it the caregiver is employed, going to work can take 8 to 10 hours out of their day. They also need time to sleep, take care of shopping and essential errands, etc. After doing all of these things, the caregiver may only have 4 - 6 hours per day that they are actually available to care for their loved one. In this situation, the way my Aunt and Uncle handled their situation may be the best option.

Last point: 360view's suggestion to talk with a lawyer is excellent advice. I had a family member who assumed their parent's home would go to Medicaid after their parents death. An elder care lawyer was able to prevent that from happening. Definitely talk with a lawyer!!!

Last edited by QuickDodge; 10/29/22 11:54 AM.