Originally Posted by GY3
Originally Posted by Michael Ecks
Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead
The real question is how UT got so many smucks to follow him? UT is about as average as average can get for a mopar guy, and thats being nice.

I think I tuned out Drunkle Tony the first video I stumbled across. He sums up something I hate, which is old timers feeling entitled to being experts just because they are old timers. Times change, companies change, technology changes, etc, you've gotta keep up, can't just expect the same answers from 30 years ago to still be correct and relevant.

I absolutely can't stand this! I have boomers offer unsolicited advice all the time that absolutely have no clue about newer tech. Trying to "pass down their knowledge" that they don't realize has long been surpassed. The "flipping the pistons around to gain horsepower" B.S. is infuriating!

I had one guy telling me how much I needed another carb for the car to run good. I went out and busted off a low 10 and he decided it was best to shut up.

Oh thank god I'm not the only one who has experienced this. I fully expected to get flame roasted to a smoldering crisp for saying that. I think the UT video that immediately turned me off was when he was doing a run down of SBM heads and said something along the lines of "these smog heads are obviously junk" because he couldn't stuff his fat finger all the way down the intake port like he did on an 340 X head. He happened to be holding the much sought after "308" head that Larry Shepard says is the best of the SBM factory heads (obviously if max flow is the goal the intake side needs some work to compare to old 2.02 valve X or J head). Sorry Tony, I'm gonna trust the Mopar Performance engine bible and the guy who designed Mopar heads for decades more than someone with just a garage and a youtube channel.

Wisdom comes with age, only when you continually learn from others, and of course from your own mistakes. When you think you've accumulated all the knowledge that will ever be out there by the time you're thirty and anything after that is stupid because it doesn't match what you heard before, then you are just getting older not wiser. And you end up shouting at people to flip their pistons around, drive around with their truck tailgate down, only use overdrive on the freeway, and only using a purple shaft cam in a mopar, etc.

As for some of the other comments regarding getting what you pay for, etc.. I don't think that is entirely true that people shopping for low cost items is to blame for "everything being defective now". A lot of the company names we used to associate with quality have long since been bought up by corporate conglomerations, that means it is no longer a guy making bushings at Moog who determines quality standards and sets costs, its bean counters in accounting and spinsters in marketing who get huge bonuses to make those decisions.

Last edited by Michael Ecks; 08/26/22 04:54 PM.

"The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of
your thoughts" ~ Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius