Originally Posted by HotRodDave
Originally Posted by mgoblue9798
I agree with the lower cruise rpm and it is the way the manufacturers have gone to help mileage with 1700-1800 cruise rpm on the highway .

Wouldn't whatever intake makes the best torque at cruise rpm be the one to help fuel mileage the most?

Didn't you run 302 heads on the first build? Maybe those ports were the limiting factor in the intakes not making much difference?

As far as the heads go could you just tube the push rod holes in the magnum heads and cut them open instead of spending a bunch on aftermarket stuff? Would moving the location/ angle of the injector boss work?

Just thinking out loud not trying to argue. I appreciate you sharing your experience with us.

The cuda engine I did use 302 heads, I used to subscribe to the theory that the smallest port made the most MPG because of velocity and such, I think all that did was hurt performance with no MPG improvement. I think the 920 head with 1.88 intake valves and a little porting would have been best for that engine, I think they are the best SB head for MPG unless you could really slow down your RPM.

The stock magnum head has no tube, just raw casting between port and pushrod. The EQ is made like this also but does have a slightly wider PR pinch. The Eddy, RHS, mopar aluminum and iron R/T all have a drilled PR tube but they also already have a much larger PR pinch, tubing them and opening it would really give a nice shot at the back of the valve I am just having a real hard time finding any much less a pair I can afford. The cheap chinese ones on fleabay have no tube and an even smaller pinch than stock heads, looking at the picture of jegs and others magnum replacements it looks like they are all selling the cheap chinese junk named as their own.

Just a heads up there is a set of 920 heads for sale on for a bodies only now. Any idea what the combustion chamber size on those is?