Originally Posted by JohnRR
Biggest things are rust, as said parts availability, and can you work on it yourself ??? I just bought a 98 Ram with 174k , just broken in , and I had bought one a number of years ago with 328k .. it was pretty well used up but did the job. I was looking at a 2000 Ram with 357k miles but it didn't pan out.

up For the most part rust is the decider and for me a no brainer to buy a Southwest NO RUST high miler even with interior fade or issues. A high mile rust belt northeast vehicle is usually not as good a purchase as a Southwest sunbelt vehicle with even twice the milage. My GTX came from El Paso, TX and had over 90k on it with an interior that was bad but not a bit of RUST and all original sheet metal. Even only a few year old vehicles in the El Paso have six figure odometers that I've looked at and at first it seemed surprising but then my friend reminded me he travels nearly 80 miles a day back and forth to work six days a week just in El Paso. Some parts of the country high milers are the norm now and not that big of an issue......salt, wet weather and short daily trips well most of us no the toll that takes on our vehicles down