Originally Posted by Old_Moparz
As for a real bridge, the only one was in Passaic County, NJ. I had worked for an engineering firm & one of the engineers who inspected it said he can't believe the county would not close it. The photos he showed me where gussets at several locations were rotted beyond repair.

Kind of like this in MANY places. down

That is a COMPLETE lack of maintenance by the bridge owner. Check the accidents section of wikipedia's Fort Worth Water Gardens.

Water Gardens linky

Fort Worth tried to blame the contractor they bought the light poles from. The reason they fell was lack of maintenance. After columns, or poles like these are installed, grout is packed into the void between the top of pier and bottom of base plate. When exposed as all outdoor columns / poles are the grout deteriorates and must be replaced. It's in the operations manual all building owners require from the contractor. When the grout isn't maintained, the anchor bolts are subject to corrosion and deterioration with eventual failure of the anchoring system. Fort Worth never changed their ways, ~ 10 to 15 years after this event my next door neighbors youngest son was attending TCU and parked his one week old new car on the street, you guessed it, another light pole fell. Fort Worth told him to pound sand, that's why he buys insurance. It's infuriating. Sorry of the rant, I'm in the business and it's especially irritating to us.

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi