Originally Posted by 67SATisfaction
This thread has been really educational to read, learning from troubleshooting advice and the results.

Originally Posted by B300 VanDanage
I purchased my van up in Washington state and the previous owners rebuilt the engine and I assume they may have also rebuilt the carburetor last so I would also assume they built it to run at sea level and now the van is about 5000ft higher elevation.

On this note, I bought our '67 Satellite from Golden, CO up around 5,700 ft. The seller apologized for how poorly the car ran, the plugs were all black, etc. I got it for $1,000 less than he was asking. I suspected what was "wrong" and just started driving home to NY. By the time I got to my first overnight stay in Grand Isle, NE (altitude 2,000ft) the engine was running great, and the plugs were all cleared up. The altitude made it run way rich, was all that was "wrong".

Cheers,
- Art

That's awesome!
I got mine for $900 plus battery and after about 50 miles the oil started getting milky! Quite the opposite of what happened to you... I assume they thought it was a cracked head or block and just didn't want to deal with it so they decided to sell it to the first "sucker" that came along... Little did they know it would work out to my benefit and was only a head gasket! Hah!
Apparently Chrysler engines starting in 1980 were made in Mexico and are notorious for cracking heads and or blocks due to the mixing of inferior metals into the casting... It just so happens that my engine was one of the last ones built in the last month(December) of the last year(1979) they made them out of pure cast iron in Canada before they moved the plant to Mexico! So I got lucky and swapped out the head gasket for about $100 or so! Sometimes it just works out! grin

Last edited by B300 VanDanage; 11/27/21 03:41 AM.