Originally Posted by MarkZ
I've got family that is very pro green. One of the them just bought a house and wants to be able to charge two electric vehicles in the garage. Should have seen the look on the guy's face after it was explained to him he only had a 100amp service coming into the house and what was involved cost wise to get what he wanted. I don't think many of these people look past the tips of their nose, and if they do then they'll expect some government program to fund the work for them.

Yeah, there is nothing automatic about owning an EV at this moment in time. They are great for certain applications but the infrastructure we have was designed for gas powered cars, not EV. I love the little Leaf that we have but we use it as a third car. I grab it when running quick errands around town. I would never rely on it as an only vehicle. It was the perfect car for our daughter when she was in high school. She could run back and forth to school all week on a single charge and she never had to worry about checking the oil or filling up with gas. I told my mom several times to buy an EV when she lived in a retirement community. Super low maintenance and very simple to operate make them a great car for older folks. Just take it out to run some errands and then put it back in the garage and plug it in. But they aren't for everyone.