Originally Posted by 05dakota
Classic cars cant do into the trust

I agree with Butterscotch71.. but ted may have specific experience with NY state rules or other Trust law.. let us know ted.

Maybe we need to make a distinction between who or what can "own" an asset vs how a person can direct their assets be managed upon their death? Maybe a Trust can't own and operate a vehicle, or can't be a vehicle's Insured party?

My story:
I was the Executor of my uncle's estate in 2010. He had set up an Irrevocable Trust *many* years prior, so there was no "look back" issues. The initial asset owned by the Trust was his house. Upon his death, his Will dictated what assets were to go into the Trust - which was basically everything else:
- The contents of his house.
- All his investment accounts and the payouts of his insurance policies by means of the Trust being listed as Beneficiary.
- His Carver cabin cruiser, and his two cars.

As Executor, I liquidated all the assets, including the house, with all the proceeds going into the Trust.

Now, I also happen to be the sole Trustee of the Trust. The Trust Agreement gives the Trustee full and complete independence of action to decide how to invest and manage the Trust's assets. I have placed the funds in various investments, however, I could absolutely buy classic cars as part of the portfolio. If I had chosen to do so, a car's NY Title would be issued in the name of the Trust.

Based on the above, I am quite certain a car or boat or anything with Title, can be placed in ownership of a Trust.

This was 10 years ago, the process was pretty complex and I might be off on some detail.
- Art

Last edited by 67SATisfaction; 10/25/21 08:40 PM.

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle