Quote:

What do you guys think would be a better choice for my car, the edelbrocks or the x heads? I currently have an LD 340 intake, Comp XE268 cam, Hooker competition headers with 2.5" exhaust, thermoquad carburetor and low compression 340. Would the power gained by the Edelbrock's be worth the $1400 for the heads? I'm on a tight budget so I don't want to spend the money if the gain wont be worthwhile. I dont have either set of heads right now so I'll be getting a set of either. Im trying to get this car to go 12's if possible.

Years ago, i had my original 340 motor in my duster. the shortblock was untouched as it came from the factory.So, 10.5 compression.

I made the following changes to it.

230/238 hughes hydralic cam
airgap, 750/3310 vacuum secondary holley carb. 1 5/8 tube cheapie headers.
i had bone stock 2.02 j heads on it.

I took bone stock out of the box eddie heads and bolted them on the car, and went to the track.
The car , on the first outing, picked up 3.5 tenths over its previious best before swapping the eddies on. Subsequent tuning and testing resulted in it picking up a total of 4 tenths over factory 2.02 heads.
With the 10 inch coan convertor i had, and the 4.10 gears i was running, the car had previously went a best of exactly 13 flat.

With the eddies on it, it clipped off 12.60's consistantly.
I think had i stepped up the smallish cam, it would have run even better, also maybe touching up the eddies valve job, etc.

All this time i ran the stock stamped rockers, pushrods, etc.

At that point i swapped out the factory motor and went to a 416..............

your results might vary...

Hope this info helps

Last edited by B3422W5; 04/21/09 11:10 AM.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, low 10.30’s 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.56 at 104.17