Grizzly, I worked at a gas station for 7 years mounting and balancing tires from the ripe old age of 15, I too know a thing or two about tires. When I was younger I bought a lot of used tires, and had pretty good luck with them, I even bought a time machine so I could mount my own tires. Somewhere around 10 years ago, the used tires that could be found around here usually had a lot of issues. Then add to the fact most used tires here sold in the $50 each range, before mounting and balancing, used tires didn't make much sense. That was when I started buying new tires.

I've run a small business for the last 28 years, and I've dealt with the public enough that I don't feel a need to deal with the people on Craig's list that are selling used tires.
I'm not a big fan of goodyear tires, but in todays world, its pretty hard to buy tires that goodyear doesn't have control over. The 4 new goodyear tires I bought cost me $74 each, the mounting, balancing, tire disposal and other fees are what made up the difference. Used tires at our local junk yard are $50 each, and they don't mount or balance them at the junk yard. I get to take them elsewhere for the mounting, balancing, and the used tire disposal fees, so you have a couple hours invested. I'm going to drive the truck in, and the tire shop will do its thing. Warranty, road hazard, no junk tires to get rid of, and I won't get my hands dirty at all.
I'
''m getting old, my time is worth more then the $24 for each tire. Gene