Body filler gets a bad rap it doesn't deserve.

The filler company has no control over the guys using their product. When its used for its intended purpose, to smooth out minor dents and metal imperfections, there is nothing wrong with using it.

The problem is when someone uses it to sculpt a body to look like its suppose to look when there is no structural metal under it.

I am a retired welder by trade. I'm not ashamed to admit there is body filler in everything I build. None of that filler is covering dead air space, all of it has solid metal under the filler. To claim that all cars with Bondo (auto body filler) are unsafe is simply not true. In the old days, the places filler would now be properly used would have been filled with lead. Plastic filler is safer and much easier to use for the purpose of correcting minor defects in auto body then lead is. Where the lead was used, the lead was the filler. Plastic filler has replaced lead filler.

Contrary to popular belief, there are not many vehicles ever built that were really completely metal finished to perfection. Most people couldn't afford the cost of true metal finish without any kind of filler. Many places sure like to prime and block sand a car to perfection and claim its all metal finished, but in those cases, the primer is the filler. Gene