Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Originally Posted by Sniper
Anyone that thinks they can tell how tight something is torqued "by hand" is fooling themselves.

I I'd do it by the book and he'd do it his way and we'd compare. So I set one side and make a small dimple on the nut so you could tell position. Loosened it up and he had a go at it (I covered the dimple with a bit of grease) and......he ended up in EXACTLY the same spot. I never questioned him again .

A front wheel bearing is unique. You are compressing 2 tapered wheel bearings. There IS a spot where they get tightened to and most of us can easily find it. Even the range from too loose there is backlash to too tight and it's hard to turn is pretty close to each other.

Anything that crushes a gasket like in the engine not only gets torqued to spec but a pattern is important. Rod bolts stretch when torqued properly, also important.
I always torque U bolts to rear housing too, it's not as tight as most of you "by feel" think it is. Every wheel and every suspension fastener and if it's crushing a sleeve, at ride height.

69 Super Bee, 93 Mustang LX, 04 Allure Super