Originally Posted by 67_Satellite
Still loving mine after 10 years. Started with blow through, premium pump gas, and a 180K mile,8:0-1 compression, 383 with up to 15 lbs. Learned a lot with the "expendable" engine.#1 takeaway is to bullet proof your boost control devices. A melted W.G.. reference line, or a stuck wastegate will likely cost you at least a head gasket (or 2).Cheap blue Fel-pro gaskets make a great "Fuse".#2, don't get greedy with the timing. Stock junk will live -IF- you don't rattle it. I'm running 20 degrees total timing. I currently have the Sniper X-flow running pump E-85 on a 10:0-1 470 with two of the "Hong Kong Hurricane" 69 m,m, ebay turbos. Got a home made girdle, B.B.C. Eagle rods ,K.B. Icon pistons ,and haven't hurt the bottom end yet. Had it up to 17 lbs. with E-85 and the blow through carb. Got to the point where it couldn't get enough fuel through the "gas" downleg boosters ,so I decided to go to E.F.I. At just 12 lbs. it's uncontrollable below 60 m.p.h. Has 315-60 M/T drag radials, Cal track bars, Cal track shocks, 90/10 front shocks, and the traction gods don't care, but it is a blast to drive .I should add some safety equipment so i can take it to the track. I believe the old 383 would live forever with a 5500 r.p.m. shift point and 15 lbs. Don't be afraid to lean on the stock parts.

Pretty much the same for me with a 318 and I stayed with a carb. It's mind blowing what stock parts will absorb as long as you don't let it detonate. I've found that the upper limit of boost with 87 octane and a Snow alcohol injection system is just a bit shy of 18 psi of boost.
I got tired of the no torque bottom end of the 318 so it's out with the old and in with the new. I'm going to start fabbing up the hot side for the 446 on Sunday. I'm going to try and hold it under 600 hp, it's going in my used up 81' W-150.