Originally Posted by Mr T2U
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
It isn't like the late '70's GM products that used the first generation water based paint that came off in sheets.

paint falling off cars happened during the 90's early 2000's cars.
i have repaired THOUSANDS of GM de laminating paint cars.
water base paint had nothing to do with the paint falling off.
there were multiple reasons why the paint fell off GM and several other manufactures cars, the biggest reason is they didn't put enough paint on the cars. the UV light from sunlight penetrated thru the color to the E coat and attacked the chemical bond between the 2 layers of products. this caused the paint to fall off.

I was on a construction project in the late '70's that had purchased about five 1976 Chevrolet products for site vehicles in that bronze metallic that Chevy had. Within two years there were huge spots where the paint had failed right down to the bare metal. When the failures were presented to the selling dealer their position was that it was due to water based paint that GM was using and it wasn't their problem. I had no personal knowledge then and have none now, just repeating what was said.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".