Originally Posted by Magnum
The main thing lacking in all these posts and replies is what is underpowered, what rips, what is slow. There needs to be a number. If you are coming from an 80's LA318 and 5.2 Magnum will be faster. Compared to a 5.7 Hemi, yes it will feel slow.

I can only contribute my numbers and you compare and make a decision. 1995 Ram Sport 5.2L, 5 spd, reg cab, short box 3.5 rear Low 16 second truck. The ET was a product of a launch with the manual trans. I actually ran a 15.9 holding the rpm at 4000 before engaging the clutch but the important number here is 84 mph. Is your faster or slower than that?

Some catalytic converter replies. Yes a they hold these back. I was door to door with a friends 1st gen Neon. When my converter was blown out. I was walking him. After replacing it under warranty I was back to door to door.

I do feel the automatics behind the 5.2's really dragged these trucks power down.

Depends on what it's in too. I yanked a 5.2 out of a 99 dakota, dropped it into my stripped 80's jeep wrangler and used a 94 wiring harness/ecu. With a stick shift in a 3000lb rig instead of a 5000lb pig, that 5.2 rips!