I recently installed the lighter weight ~1986 Toyota 4-Runner alternator onto my new SB stroker 410, cast iron heads. I also installed a new AutoMeter Volt meter gauge... by-passing the rally dash alternator gauge. I've also purchased a new Optima Red Top battery (trunk located.. replacing the old one after past ~12 years).

I purchased a brand new DENSO (not remanufactured) from AUTOZONE... lifetime warranty. This alternator has an internal voltage regulator, so, I removed the firewall voltage regulator.

I also purchased the AR Engineering Pigtail (AR016), as well as the AR022 SB mounting brackets.

Headlights and turn signals are much better (no more dimming or slow blinking at idle). But, I've observed the voltage reading on the new AutoMeter gauge to be about 15-15.5 most of time, slightly lower... about 14.5-15 with heater and lights on.

I tested the alternator and it reads the same as my new voltage gauge,,, 14.5-15.5... avg 15.

Any suggestions what could be the problem? Shouldn't the voltage read only between 12.5-13.5 at most?

Advice truly appreciated.. I don't want to have electrical problems.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!