Originally Posted by autoxcuda
Originally Posted by second 70
Originally Posted by jcc
Beating a dead horse here it seems, not sure I understand why 3 phase costs more from the utility, usually the main power monthly costs are per kw used, 3 phase has no other real downside, if OP ever finds a use for it, like with a "real" compressor, lathe, mill, etc it will be a real plus if functional, all other normal "single phase" equipment can usually run off of a 3 phase system, and if hell bent on downsizing the existing wiring, ditch the single phase distribution. My leaning towards the 3 phase here is assuming its a 120/208V 3 phase, if a higher voltage system, never mind. grin

It's the cost to the utility. Three phase has to have either 2 or 3 transformers to supply power single phase only 1. So we have to run 3 high voltage power lines,install 3 transformers instead of one. So not only is a 3 phase service higher but the cost of a single phase is higher based on what amp service it is also. So 100amp is less than 200 etc. Each time the amps goes up we have to install bigger wire,transformer,and generate more power.

Exactly iagree

Exactly what? The OP& his utility already has 3 phase in place, there are no additional costs to anybody, he just has to decide which service serves his needs best in the future. my understanding from the utility perspective, they prefer three phase, as that is what comes out of the power plant, and with 3 phase loads, they don't have to deal with balancing the loads as much, just collect the money.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.