Originally Posted by 360view
I wanted to transfer some VHS tapes of family movies to DVD and then to flash drives.
I have used GoVideo and Funai (Magnavox) units with VHS on one side and DVD on the other.
The Funai units have HDMI outputs and have an additional 1.5 hour DVD record mode.
Units like the GoVideo and Funai seem to go for about $20 in thrift stores.
If the remote control is missing Dishnetwork remote controls can run them by looking up the correct code.

There is a noticeable video noise reduction “cleanup” when transferring from analog VHS to digital DVD.

These machines will reject cheap mainland china made blank DVDs and need Japan or Taiwan made blank DVDs for success.

If you then play the newly made DVD in a modern Bluray player there is a further video noise reduction.

Vupoint units can transfer VHS to SD cards.

I digitize to my computer and edit the video before I put it on any media or the internet. I have the ability to do Beta, 8mm (tape, not film), VHS, mini DV, and Umatic (3/4" professional stuff). I NEED the ability to transfer 1" reel to reel video tape, but those machines are hard to find. I've got 25 more 1" tapes to do...