The combustion chamber, as well as the fluid passages, need to have sealing lines around them ... such as the o-ring encircling the combustion chamber, as well as raised beads around the fluid passages, especially on a flat metal sheet gasket (such as copper).

The Fel-Pro 1008 has the manufactured advantage of having a pre-flattened wire ring within the stainless steel wrapped armour. The fiber facing performs well enough to retain all fluids.

Embossed steel shims, as well as MLS gaskets, have raised sealing beads around the combustion and fluid sealing ares... as required.

Note that MLS gaskets require a very smooth surface finish -- deck of block and head face -- to properly seal. Some machine shops can't produce the extreme smoothness (better shops can do it).

I wouldn't advise that you try to skimp or take short cuts in gasket sealing.

I'm a former gasket engineer from a major company.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!