Moparts

Cooper gasket - no oring

Posted By: dart_73_br

Cooper gasket - no oring - 09/08/20 12:01 PM

Hello guys,

I would like to know if is it possible to use Cooper Gaskets without orings? How do I seal the water/oil passages? Engine will be boosted. Arp studs.

Br,
Fernando
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Cooper gasket - no oring - 09/08/20 12:09 PM

copper coat gasket sealer on the gasket, and a pencil thin line,or thin smear of rtv around water holes on the block/ heads.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Cooper gasket - no oring - 09/08/20 02:21 PM

These seem to fit the bill.
The Titan line.
https://www.scegaskets.com/products/
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Cooper gasket - no oring - 09/08/20 04:31 PM

I'm sure it will depend on how much boost before it starts leaking compression out of the chamber.
I've used them on N/A motors with no O rings and no leaks on street motors years ago before MLS gaskets came out. I did some R&D for SCE back then also, they now offer copper head gaskets with built in O rings that work well on stock type street motors that are boosted scope
Posted By: dart_73_br

Re: Cooper gasket - no oring - 09/08/20 04:35 PM

Yes, was just watching a video from SCE president now, he explaining the different types... I already have brand new SCE Pro style gasket here but don't want to do o-rings. Just thinking maybe it´s better to go to MLS style as he says cooper can leak fluids on cold weathers and so on.... I also have used Felpro 1008 with nitrous with no issues for some time.... let´s see....
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Cooper gasket - no oring - 09/08/20 06:22 PM

The combustion chamber, as well as the fluid passages, need to have sealing lines around them ... such as the o-ring encircling the combustion chamber, as well as raised beads around the fluid passages, especially on a flat metal sheet gasket (such as copper).

The Fel-Pro 1008 has the manufactured advantage of having a pre-flattened wire ring within the stainless steel wrapped armour. The fiber facing performs well enough to retain all fluids.

Embossed steel shims, as well as MLS gaskets, have raised sealing beads around the combustion and fluid sealing ares... as required.

Note that MLS gaskets require a very smooth surface finish -- deck of block and head face -- to properly seal. Some machine shops can't produce the extreme smoothness (better shops can do it).

I wouldn't advise that you try to skimp or take short cuts in gasket sealing.

I'm a former gasket engineer from a major company.
© 2024 Moparts Forums