Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
Where has it been kept the last 10 years.

For about 15+ years, the engine hoist was disassembled with the long sections resting against the wall and marking up the drywall paint. With restored cars now home and the garage recently painted, I put the hoist back together to prevent damage. I was thinking of disassembling the hoist and building a wooden crate (with castors and hinged door) to hold the individual pieces.

The engine hoist is from the 80s with a wide opening to allow the engine stand to roll in with no issues. Some of the new engine hoists that fold up for storage have a narrow opening that restrict how far in that you can roll the engine stand in.

As for the engine stand, my father built it back in the 80s to hold his 440 engine. The base is made out of I-beam and heavy duty. The base is pretty wide (3-pieces of I-beam welded together: header, footer and one vertical beam attaching the two horizontal beams along with 4-castors). I recently had the engine stand media blasted and powder coated to preserve the bare metal. After looking at the engine stand yesterday, I may need to disassemble it and roll the base under a car. The other two sections of the engine stand (mounting plate and vertical post) can go in the wooden crate with the engine hoist.

Last edited by vinnyd76; 05/28/20 08:36 AM.