to add to what gene said about one's building, fabricating, and engineering skills, plus one's tool and equipment collection, i will offer this.
it MAY be a better idea to purchase a "built" car than to attempt to build one yourself, especially if a person is lacking in several of the above skills, and only owns a basic socket set.
however, when purchasing a "built" car, make SURE it is of QUALITY ! if you are not positive you can see this [other than the excitement of the find] take someone along you can trust that knows these kind of vehicles inside and out, and will be up front with you, even if it turns out to be a "pig in lipstick", and strongly advises you AGAINST the purchase.

the reason i suggest this, in today's world, there are bargains galore out there with sellers needing cash for the next build or personal reasons. these built cars are almost ALWAYS pennies on the dollar spent, plus you will be WAY ahead on the build time, which can often be years and years, which can discourage even the most skilled among us.

i'm not in any way suggesting anyone lacks talent, the desire, or resolve to build a car, just offering up a way that could be a SIGNIFICANT way to save a ton of time and money.
beer