Originally Posted by Transman
I would replace the pump bushing and seal. Hard to tell in the picture but the hub looks like it has a lot of runout. Max I think is .008”.

Your first pic has little wear, then the next has more and so on. The other possibility is when you pull the converter up to the flex plate and in to the crank, that it’s bound in the crank pilot. When you install the converter bolts if it doesn’t seat itself this will contribute to excessively runout as well. Always lightly grease the crank pocket then pull the converter then start the bolts with your fingers but don’t tighten them until they are all statted. Then work your way around while snugging the bolts up.

For runout - hard to check in the field but if you had an old flywheel and laid it flat then laid the converter on it, turned the converter while you had a dial indicator on the hub, you should get < .008”. Of course this won’t work unless the flywheel is held on center.

I also see where the impeller hub has weld that looks like it’s been hitting something, I assume that is old and not new.

You also say leaks at bolts and both seals. Perimeter seal and Input seal are both wet ?

Nice pressure test setup- can’t get better than that.

Yes, I'll replace the bushing and seal. I've never pulled a front pump but I'll see if I can find some experience to do the job or help out. Should I also get the hub of the converter replaced? It does have a small step in it when run my finger across it.

As for the converter pulling up to the flex plate, I noticed recently that the converter bolt blocks are not flush against the flex plate when fully seated into the crank. I can however feel and hear the converter hub bottoming out into the crank. I did a quick measurement, seams excessive ~ .050". I think it needs a spacer added between the two. Are you thinking the excessive run out wear is causing the leak? I just don't understand why it all happened when installing the reverse manual valve body.

I see the weld you are talking about but its just missing the paint. The picture makes it look like it was hitting something. It's an old weld that's not hitting anything.

The pump bolts, perimeter seal, and input seal all had fluid on them. I'm thinking is just the wind inside forcing the fluid everywhere inside the bell housing?!?? Has to be coming from one of the mentioned though. Frustrating.

Thank you on the pressure set up. I wanted to push the pressure higher but wasn't comfortable.

Thanks for all the responses and look forward to additional input.

Jeff

Last edited by Siba; 05/07/20 08:40 PM.