Originally Posted by Transman
I take those cast iron seal rings and slide them in to the support with the ends hooked. If they slide in with effort and the hooks are not bottomed out then they are the correct ones to use.
While the image is a front clutch retainer the practice is useful for any hooked seal ring. Notice daylight on each side of the hook - 12 and 6 O’Clock of the hook area.

As for the accumulator spring, you won’t have any issue by using what was in the trans before.

ok.... that new HD spring was only like $5 bux…. so not enough lost to worry about, if I put the original back in.... I thought that accumulator mostly dealt with 2nd gear, which is what I was having problem with, and 110% the only reason I have the trans out, apart in the 1st place. so I wanted to make 110% sure that it won't have that problem again.... the thought was to beef up anything related to the issue.....

so playing "devil's advocate", would anything be hurt or modified to "not work right" if I put the heavier/taller spring in this thing? It does have the small spring in the "deep end" of the accumulator... I remember a 727, one of the 1st that I ever went into, when I was young and stupid, that I put a B&M shift kit into, with a stock converter behind a pooch 318 with 2.76 gears.... that thing could not even chirp the tires (and it was a peg leg rear) but it would chirp the tires and snap my neck at every shift, which I DON'T want, in this case.... it's been a long time, but as I remember that kit had a "towing/heavy duty" or a "street/strip" option within the same package and that was following the "towing/HD" side of the instruction sheet but I don't remember everything from the 80s either....
that's why, IF I decide to use a shift kit, I have taken a liking to the TF-ODjr since I discovered them, have not used any other shift kit, besides those besides that one B&M 30+ years ago.... I quickly grew to dislike that one. so far I have not put any "kit" in this one, though the Sonnax "Sure Cure" kind of catches my interest.

yeah those "plastic" rings might have been Teflon, you might be right.... part of the "brain fart" that made me post this thread. I remember that within the old 3 speed trannys I have been into, that I usually seen cast iron with the locking ends. on the 4 speeds I have worked on they all had the angle-cut plastic (nylon, Teflon or what ever material they are) I don't remember any method to the madness regarding which ones were used in a particular transmission.... I will say this though. With 120K, I think this is the 1st time that this transmission has ever been dug into beyond a "pan drop" //of which I have record of that having been done by a shop on behalf of the prior owner, twice. better than most owners, who do nothing with a trans til they are stranded and wont move....

I sourced the new band from the dealer, though it came up "discontinued" when they looked it up, the closest warehouse they deal with still had a couple on the shelf..... what bothers me is that upon pulling the thing apart, I really did not see a problem with the original band, and yes I have seen them burnt up..... so I went farther in trying to fix the issue..... nothing I have seen though, looks "bad" so far. weird. Usually when I pull down a trans I can ID the "smoking gun".... not this one.