I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with my crank sprocket and possibly the damper,
I'm pickingup a new timing chain gear set tomorrow and start over with that.

Originally Posted by RapidRobert
with the degree wheel on I would eyeball the piston as close to TDC as you can guess. zero the dial indicator. On the dampener go back CCW till the needle goes back .100". note the degrees. On the dampener go back CW till the dial goes back to zero then goes down the other way to .100". note the degrees. add the 2 readings & divide in half & move the dampener to that halfway # on the wheel to get you to true TDC. (I hope I didn't miss a step there). Assuming a 7&1/4 dampener, 42 degrees is 2.657" and 92 degrees is 5.821" & you can measure a strip of paper with your calipers then cut it & use it as a flexible ruler around the dampener circumference to confirm those 2 readings. On the 92 degrees see if the keyway slot is that far away around from the TDC slit & not sure on the 42, one end of the strip of paper lined up with the zero of the timing tab, not sure on the other end. Just me I think it is a mismatched timing gear set cuz you cant get dot to dot (if I am reading/seeing this right) no matter what is going on with piston actual TDC showing zero on the tab/slit, that being correct or not. Holler back when you can. EDIT I relooked at the first pic & I was turned around, it appears that if you hand bumped the crank a bit CW that the cam dot would line up dead on