I installed a AM converted to newer electronics radio in my 68 bee. The radio was done by instrument specialties and is supposed to have modern electronics, Am/FM and MP3 ports in the back. I removed a working factory AM radio that I had no issues with playing outside the fact of lack of good AM stations, I could listen with no trouble on long trips. With all of that said the new radio is installed and I am having an issue with after about 30 minutes of cruising around it makes a pop that you can hear through the speakers that basically seems to let the radio cut off and right back on. That allows the radio to switch from FM back to AM. it will also make the pop with the MP3 player plugged in, but since the MP3 overrides the radio feature it only pops and goes back to playing. My only thought is maybe after cruising the voltage regulator / alternator let the voltage drop to an amount that might effect the radios electronics? I contacted Instrument Specialties and they asked me to let in play in the car, as they would only be able to bench test it so I let it play in the car not running with a battery charger on to keep the battery from dying and it played with no issues for about an hour and a half. So it is something that happens while it is being driven. I have tried to shake all connections it makes no difference have even rechecked them to make sure they are tight. They are just the factory connections to power the radio and the speakers. I had thoughts of adding the blue mopar performance voltage regulator that provides 14 volts at all times , but don't want to cook my battery on long trips. The regulator that is on the car is a newer electronic style that looks like the 68-69 style. I will say that when first running the car the amp gauge does show positive amps when you first start driving more so than after you have been on the road for a while. It never goes into the negative and I don't have any issue with dead or low battery issues.
Anyone got any thoughts?